Recipe by Ppaperdoll
This is from bon appetit magazine. I'm sure you could substitute any firm white fish for the halibut. It's best to warm the mashed potatoes in the microwave and adding more milk if necessary to make them spreadable.
Top Review by tamarinda
A simple, healthy, and tasty dish. Unfortunately, the mashed potatoes are not listed in the ingredients, so I wasn't sure what the correct amount is. I'd up my rating for sure if the recipe were corrected.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large fennel bulb, trimmed, halved and thinly sliced cross-wise
- 1⁄2 cup sliced shallot
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1⁄2 lbs halibut fillets, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 (6 ounce) package Baby Spinach
- 3 1⁄2 cups warm mashed potatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat broiler. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add fennel and shallots and cook until they're tender (about 8 minutes).Sprinkle with flour, salt and pepper. Saute 2 minutes.
- Add broth and bring to a boil, stirring often. Add fish and spinach. Cover, and simmer over medium heat until fish is nearly cooked, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer fish mixture to an 11x7x2 inch baking dish. Spoon mashed potatoes over, covering fish mixture completely.
- Place under broiler about 4 minutes, until filling bubbles at edges and potatoes are browned in spots.