1/1 Photo of Halibut Piccata With Spinach
NICK SUHADOLNIK's Note:
"Describing" the recipe preparation actually takes more time than the actual cooking time itself -- so, don't panic! It's very simple and wonderful! For example, cooking jasmine rice properly has it's own little secret. Using coconut oil, if you can find it, is healthy, nutritious, and really flavorful. However, if you don't have it available, EVOO works fine! And, lastly, you can substitute any flaky white fish, such as sea bass or tilapia, but be sure to adjust the cooking time according to thickness. BON APPETIT!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups jasmine rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 4 (6 ounce) halibut fillets (1 to 1 1/2 inches thick)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil (or EVOO)
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups fresh Baby Spinach
- 1Put the rice in a small sauce pan. I like to rinse my rice by placing in a sieve and running under cold water. This rids the rice of excess starch powder and broken rice which makes the cooked rice mushy and sticky. Add just enough water to cover the top of the rice by 1/2 inch (approx. 3 cups) Cover the pot with the lid. Place over medium to medium high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for at least another 10 minutes, until the water is completely absorbed. Turn off burner and allow rice to sit, covered, for at least another 5 minutes. Sprinkle with half of the salt and pepper and stir to fluff.
- 2IN THE MEANTIME, sprinkle the fish with the rest of the salt and pepper, and dredge in flour.
- 3Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add fish to pan; cook 2 1/2 minutes on each side (less for thinner filets) or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
- 4Add wine, juice, and capers to the pan; cook one minute.
- 5Add butter to pan, stirring until butter melts. Remove fish and sauce from pan; keep warm.
- 6Wipe pan clean with paper towel, add spinach and saute one minute or until wilted.
- 7Place 1/4 of the rice on each of 4 plates. Top each serving with 1/4 of the spinach, one fish filet, and 1/4 of the sauce.
Browse Our Top Halibut Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Halibut Piccata With Spinach
Serving Size: 1 (380 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 854.7
- Calories from Fat 196
- Total Fat 21.8 g
- Saturated Fat 13.3 g
- Cholesterol 85.5 mg
- Sodium 610.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 100.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 55.1 g