1 hr 5 mins
The sauce that smothers these halibut parcels and baby vegetables is called avgolemono and has a Greek origin. It's frothy and tangy - perfect complement to this dish. The recipe is from the London fish restaurant called Livebait.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 lettuce leaves, Cos lettuce is you can get it
- 300 g prawns, raw
- 8 spring onions
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 8 (50 g) halibut, pieces
- 1Wilt the lettuce leaves in boiling water, and refresh them in cold water. This will make them more manageable.
- 2Shell and devein the prawns and mince or chop them finely. Chop the spring onions finely, and mix with the prawns.
- 3Spread the mixture on to the lettuce leaves and place a bit of halibut on the top of each. Dust them with paprika, then put in more prawn and roll up into neat parcels. If necessary, use two leaves per parcel to make them water-tight.
- 4Peel and trim if necessary, and then put the baby carrots, fennels, leeks and shallots into the bottom of a large pot and add chicken stock and wine inches Bring to boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 5Carefully place the fish parcels on top of the vegetables and cook with the lid on for another 8-10 minutes - but no more - depending on the thickness of your parcels.
- 6Gently tip all the liquid from the pot into another pan to finish the sauce, holding back the vegetables and fish with the lid.
- 7Shake the cornflour in a little bit of cold water and whisk into the liquid.
- 8Simmer until thickened, then turn off the heat.
- 9Whisk the egg whites in a bowl until thye peak, fold in the yolks.
- 10Pour the warm stock into the egg mixture, stirring with a whisk. Put bowl over a saucepan of boiling water and gradually whisk in the lemon juice. Continue to whisk until the sauce thickens like a custard. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- 11Return the sauce to the pot of fish and parcels and vegetables, leave for 5 minutes for the flavours to mingle.
Browse Our Top Halibut Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Halibut Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Halibut Parcels in Lettuce
Serving Size: 1 (1593 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 751.6
- Calories from Fat 90
- Total Fat 10.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 286.8 mg
- Sodium 1211.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 117.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 31.0 g
- Sugars 16.7 g
- Protein 53.6 g