Recipe by wildeyeris
We liked this recipe so much we had the caterer use it at our wedding. All the guests raved about how it was the best halibut they had ever had. It also helps to have fresh halibut.
Top Review by danirae39
I've been making a variation of this recipe for years and it's one of my all time favorites! I add equal amounts of green pepper to the onion, about 3/4 cup grated fresh parmesan to the sour cream/mayo mix, and instead of crackers I use a mix of 2 tbl melted butter, 3 dashes paprika (for color) 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs, 2 tbl minces fresh parsley, and about 1/4 cup additional parmesan.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 lbs fresh halibut fillets (or thawed frozen)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 cup cracker, crushed (I use Ritz)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Melt butter; pour into bottom of 13X9-inch baking pan.
- Spread onion over melted butter and top with halibut fillets.
- Mix together sour cream and mayonnaise; spread over halibut.
- Top with cracker crumbs.
- Bake in oven until fish flakes and crumbs are lightly browned (about 20 minutes.).
- *Note* If you can’t get your hands on fresh halibut, I’ve learned to cut all the brown parts off the halibut and then soak it in about 1/2 gallon of water with 1/4 cup lemon juice for about an hour. This usually takes out the fishy taste.