Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a restaurant-quality dish that is not only easy but so delicious, it's an elegant dish to serve at a dinner party. This recipe can easily be doubled and baked in a larger baking dish or a shallow roasting pan. Serve this with fresh mushrooms sauteed in butter and Basmati Rice Pilaf you will think you are dining in a fancy restaurant!
Top Review by Koriander
Hi Kittencal. I made this for my family while visiting, along with a Cranberry-Fruit Coleslaw, and it was fabulous. Easy to make too. Halibut is quite expensive for a family of 6, but it was worth it to see everyone enjoy it.
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach (hand-squeeze out excess moisture)
- 4 halibut steaks (about 6-ounces each)
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter (or as needed)
- seasoning salt (to taste, or use white salt)
- black pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-low heat stir together the half and half cream with cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese until melted and smooth; mix in the flour and water stirring constantly until thickend and smooth; remove from heat.
- Sprinkle the spinach evenly into the baking dish.
- Brush the halibut on both sides with melted butter, then season with seasoned salt (or white salt) and black pepper on both sides.
- Place the halibut steaks over the spinach, then pour the cheese sauce over the halibut.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Divide onto four plates.