Recipe by Yia Yia
This is from the current Bon Appetit magazine, in the Fast Easy Fresh section. I fixed it for dinner tonight and we really enjoyed it. The coating is crispy and satisfying, and the tartar sauce is very good. I hope you try it and enjoy it as much as we did!
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill (I used about 2 t dried)
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cornichons or 2 tablespoons dill pickles, plus 1 T pickle juice
- 1 1⁄4 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄2 lbs halibut fillets, cut into 3 inch strips
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix first 5 ingredients in a bowl. Season with pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate tartar sauce.
- Spread panko on a plate,.
- Whisk egg in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper.
- Working in batches, coat fish with egg, then panko. Shake off excess.
- Heat 1 1/2 T olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add half the fish and cook, turning often (I only turned once and got a very nice crust), about 4 minutes total.
- Transfer to a plate and keep warm. Repeat with remaining fish and oil.
- Serve with tartar sauce.