Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I'm intrigued by the addition of barbecue sauce. Recipe from Recipe Girl.
Make and share this Halftime Chili recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped sweet onions
- 6 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 lbs ground beef
- 5 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 mild jalapenos, seeds & ribs removed and chopped finely
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can beans in chili sauce
- Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic. Sauté until onions are soft and lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Add beef and sauté until browned, about 5 minute Add chili powder, cumin, basil, bay leaves, oregano and thyme. Stir 2 minutes. Mix in jalapeños, tomatoes, broth, beer, tomato paste, and barbecue sauce. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Let simmer until thickened to desired consistency, stirring occasionally to reincorporate the ingredients, about 1 hour and 15 minute Mix in the beans and heat an additional 5 minutes.