Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
- 4 lbs boneless beef chuck shoulder pot roast, cut into 3-inch chunks
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup A.1. Original Sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
- 12 soft egg sandwich buns, split sliced green onions
- A.1. Original Sauce
- In Dutch oven, place beef, onion, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Combine water and tomato paste; pour over beef mixture. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low.
- Cover tightly and simmer 1 3/4 to 2 hours or until beef is tender.
- Remove beef from cooking liquid; cool slightly.
- Meanwhile skim fat from cooking liquid, if necessary.
- Trim and discard excess fat from cooked beef.
- Shred beef with 2 forks.
- In Dutch oven, combine 2 cups cooking liquid, steak sauce, brown sugar and cornstarch mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Add shredded beef; mix well.
- Continue to cook until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally.
- Place equal amounts of beef mixture on bottom half of each bun.
- Sprinkle with green onions and close with top half of bun.
- Serve with additional steak sauce, if desired.
- Makes 12 servings (serving size: 1 sandwich).
This wasn't a favorite in our house. It smelled wonderful while it was cooking, but there was just something that didn't work for us! It was a very easy recipe and I thank you for sharing it. Maybe I'll try the basic recipe again and tweak it a bit to make it work for us!!
Well, I have to say this is a definite 5 star here! Recipe served only 5 because they didn't stop. Two DD's had 3 sandwiches each and I lost count with DH! The meat was so moist and tasty! Definite keeper here, thanks Dancer^