Half-Time Shredded Beef Sandwiches
- In Dutch oven, place beef, onion, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Combine water and tomato paste; pour over beef mixture. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low.
- Cover tightly and simmer 1 3/4 to 2 hours or until beef is tender.
- Remove beef from cooking liquid; cool slightly.
- Meanwhile skim fat from cooking liquid, if necessary.
- Trim and discard excess fat from cooked beef.
- Shred beef with 2 forks.
- In Dutch oven, combine 2 cups cooking liquid, steak sauce, brown sugar and cornstarch mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Add shredded beef; mix well.
- Continue to cook until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally.
- Place equal amounts of beef mixture on bottom half of each bun.
- Sprinkle with green onions and close with top half of bun.
- Serve with additional steak sauce, if desired.
- Makes 12 servings (serving size: 1 sandwich).