Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This rich thick chili is suprisingly healthy using ground turkey (and no one needs to know)!!!! The basis of this recipe came from Bon Apetit 1996/Epicurious. I have made my own changes and used this recipe for 5yrs...potlucks, game nights, blizzards... Ofcourse you can use ground beef/venison, different types of beans, but do not be afraid of the amount of garlic, it mellows out during the cooking.
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 354.88 ml onions, diced
- 8 garlic cloves, diced
- 1360.77 g ground turkey
- 88.74 ml chili powder
- 29.58 ml cumin
- 9.85 ml dried basil
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 4.92 ml dried thyme
- 9.85 ml cayenne pepper (omit for mild)
- 793.78 g can crushed tomatoes in puree
- 411.06 g can low sodium chicken broth
- 340.19 g beer (Shiner Bock or other med dark beer)
- 170.09 g can tomato paste
- 425.24 g can kidney beans
- 425.24 g can black beans
- 425.24 g can chili beans
- 28.34 g bittersweet chocolate (optional)
- 14.79 ml cornmeal (optional if you need to thicken it up at the end)
- 113.39 g can chipotle peppers (optional)
- Dice onion and garlic.
- Heat oil in heavy large Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic.
- Saute until onions are translucent, about 8min.
- Add turkey and brown.
- When 1/2 browned add chili powder, cumin, basil, oregano and thyme.
- Stir 2 minutes.
- Mix in crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, beer and tomato paste.
- Simmer 2hrs until thickened to desired consistency, stiring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Mix in beans (not drained).
- Simmer 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Best prepared day before and refrigerated to allow flavors to come together.
- Serve with diced onion, extra sharp cheddar cheese and cornbread.