Recipe by lynnski / LA
This small cake is only 6 ounces, about 4 servings. I like to top the slices with fresh peaches and whipped cream. This recipe was adapted from Barbara Swain's, "Cookery for 1 or 2". I added the baking powder which is not in the original recipe, it's optional.
- 1⁄4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 teaspoon baking powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 F (165 C).
- Line a 6" x 3" aluminum foil loaf pan with wax paper, by taking a length of wax paper, folding it over lengthwise to fit in the pan, to ease removal of the cake.
- Then grease the pan and paper with butter.
- Beat butter in a small bowl until soft and light.
- Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
- Beat egg in another small bowl.
- Gradually add to the butter-flour mixture, beating until fluffy.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Stir in flour and baking powder, beat until fluffy.
- spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake about 55 minutes, until edges separate from the pan.
- Cool in the pan about 15 minutes.
- Loosen sides and remove by lifting ends of the wax paper.
- Cool on a wire rack.