Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Growing up, there was a local bakery that made the best half-moon cookies. That bakery isn't in business any more, so now I have to make my own. Half Moon cookies bring back such great childhood memories for me. For frosting, use Half Moon Cookie Frosting.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour milk (1 Tbsp white vinegar plus milk to make 1 cup)
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Cream butter, shortening and sugars together.You can use all butter, or all shortening if you prefer, but the texture and shape will come out a little different.
- Mix in eggs and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients together in a separate bowl.
- Combine in dry ingredients and sour milk, alternating until mixed well.
- Drop from Tablespoons onto greased cookie sheet (About 1/8 cup is the right size) Your cookie sheet should not be warped, or else your cookies won't come out nice and round. Allow plenty of room for the cookies to spread. Start with 4 cookies to a sheet and then see if you can increase to fitting 6 cookies.
- Bake at 375 F for 12-15 minutes.
- Frost the BOTTOM of the cookies. Half with white frosting, half with chocolate frosting with frosting recipe #188454.