- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, such as safflower
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped (ribs and seeds removed)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- coarse salt
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen cut okra
- 8 ounces smoked andouille sausages, halved lengthwise and sliced 1 inch thick (precooked)
- 1 (2 1/2 lb) rotisserie-cooked chicken, skin and bones removed, meat shredded (about 4 cups)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 5-quart Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot, heat oil over medium. Add flour, and cook, whisking constantly, until pale golden, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in bell peppers, onion, garlic, and oregano; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are crisp-tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add 4 cups water; stir in okra and sausage. Bring to a boil. Stir in shredded chicken, and warm through, 1 to 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper; if desired, serve with cornbread.