Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
One of my favorite potato dishes. Great with Sauerbraten, Venisen roast, Goose and Duck, and fresh pork roast.
- On the day before you want to serve them, boil 1 1/2 lb potatoes in their jacket.
- Peel the potatoes as soon as they are done, and press through a ricer or mash through a sieve; then cool them till the next day (not in the refrigerator, it will change the flavor) Next day peel and grate 1 lb potatoes.
- Put grated potatoes in a cloth and wring out as much liquid as possible.
- Add to the boiled potatoes.
- Knead into this the egg, flour, and salt.
- With floured hands shape into tennis ball sized balls.
- In a large pot bring salted water to a full boil.
- Put the dumplings into the water and boil 5 minutes, reduce heat to medium for and boil for 5 minutes more, reduce heat to low for and let simmer until done (dumplings will rise to the top when they are ready), about another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from water.
- Caution, do not put a cover on the pot, the dumplings will disintegrate.