This is a popular recipe from the Basque region. Hake has a cod-like texture and either cod, haddock or flounder may be substituted. The dish can be jazzed up by adding clams and shrimp or with asparagus tips, green beans, and peas. Posted for Spain - ZWT #5.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Season the flour generously with salt and pepper (depending on the size of your fillets, you may need extra seasoned flour).
- Dredge the skin side of the hake fillets in the seasoned flour, shake off the excess, and set aside.
- Heat a shallow flameproof casserole over high heat until you can feel the rising heat. Add the oil and heat until hot, about 30 seconds.
- Add the hake fillets, skin side down, and cook for about 3 minutes until the skin is golden brown.
- Turn the fish over and season with salt and pepper (to taste).
- Pour in the wine and add the garlic, scallions, and parsely.
- Transfer the casserole to oven and bake, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until the fish flakes easily.