Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 25 mins
Bake this delicious, simple cake for breakfast or afternoon tea. For an evening dessert, serve it with ice cream or whipped cream, flavored with cinnamon or nutmeg.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable oil
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted, chopped (I like them in large pieces)
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh figs, quartered (remove hard tip on fig first)
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup dried dates or 1 cup prune, pitted, cut in half
- 1 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a 9-inch bundt pan.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, salt and baking soda. In a large mixing bowl, mix sugar and oil for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla and mix. Add flour mixture and mix just till combined. Fold in walnuts, cranberries, dates or prunes and raisins.
- Spoon ½ of the batter into prepared bundt pan. Place ½ the figs around on top of batter and push lightly into the batter. Spoon remaining cake mixture on top of figs. Sprinkle remaining figs evenly on top of cake and lightly press them into cake batter.
- Bake for 1 hr 25 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean (I use a long bamboo stick, as a toothpick is not long enough for a thick cake.) Cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Turn out onto a cooling rack.
Terrific cake! I used the dates and it was just delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe, which I will use often, as I have 2 fig trees in the yard. Made for ZWT6.
Loved this cake! I happened to have almost everything on hand for this, just had to go get some figs, which were at my local grocery store this week! I used chopped dates (what I had) and followed everything else exactly, even the cooking time was spot on! Thanks for a moist, delicious cake that was something a little different. Made for the Hot Pink Panthers, ZWT9.