1/1 Photo of Haitian Griots
2 hrs 20 mins
Member #610488's Note:
This is a traditional "Manje Kreyol" recipe which means it is part of the Haitian Creole culture.Extremely popular as a street food offered during holidays and celebrations.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 5 scallions, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons thyme leaves (prefer fresh but dried is ok)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 scotch bonnet peppers, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 oranges, juice of
- 3 limes, juice of
- 6 whole coffee beans
- kosher salt, to taste
- 2 lbs boneless pork shoulder, diced into 1/2-inch-thick chunks
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1In a blender, combine the garlic with the scallions, thyme, black pepper, chiles, onion, bell pepper, orange and lime juices, coffee beans and 2 teaspoons of salt, and puree.
- 2Transfer to a resealable plastic bag. Add the pork shoulder cubes to the bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate the pork overnight.
- 3Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Remove the pork from the marinade and transfer to a Dutch oven or covered casserole dish. Add the water and bring to a boil. Reserve the marinade.
- 4Cover and braise the pork in the oven for 1 hour and 30 minutes, stirring the cubes a few times, until tender; transfer them to a bowl.
- 5Boil the braising liquid until reduced to 1 cup (approx. 10 minutes). Strain into a saucepan and boil until reduced to 1/2 cup (approx. 8 minutes). Add the marinade and boil for 1 minute.
- 6Lightly season the pork with salt and add the reduced sauce. Stir well. In a nonstick skillet, heat the vegetable oil. Add the pork and cook over medium-high heat until the cubes are browned and glazed, about 2 minutes per side, then serve.
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Loins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Haitian Griots
Serving Size: 1 (501 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1407.1
- Calories from Fat 954
- Total Fat 106.0 g
- Saturated Fat 33.6 g
- Cholesterol 322.3 mg
- Sodium 332.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 16.5 g
- Protein 79.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: