1 hr 40 mins
These are the equivalent of Jamaican Patties, in that they are most always served for all occasions. :) Raather than the more traditional pâté, a spicy & tasty chicken picadillo is made and then whirred up for a filling in these first-course puff-pastry packets. The filling is then sealed in the dough and baked. It's highly spiced for sure but also very aromatic, a nice start to any meal.;) Cooking Light Magazine, May 2010 edition. My nurse, Babara, who is now retiring - goes by the Haitian bakery on week-ends and picks up some patties and some fresh bread; then brings them in with whatever else she could find! They are marvelous and bring back many, many wonderful memories of me when I was juat 18 years old.:)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 habanero peppers or 1 scotch bonnet pepper
- cooking spray
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 lb ground chicken breast
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 2 teaspoons no-salt-added tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon grated whole nutmeg
- 14 ounces frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1Cut habanero in half. Seed one half of pepper, and leave seeds in other half. Mince both pepper halves. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add minced habanero, onion, and garlic to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently.
- 2Add chicken; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Add carrot; cook 2 minutes. Add tomato paste; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add lime juice and vinegar, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.
- 3Add green onions and next 6 ingredients (through nutmeg); stir well. Remove from heat; cool mixture to room temperature.
- 4Place cooled chicken mixture in a food processor; process until almost smooth (mixture will begin to clump).
- 5Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 6Roll puff pastry into a 15 x 12–inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface.
- 7Cut puff pastry into 20 (3-inch) squares. Combine egg and water, stirring with a whisk. Brush egg mixture along edges of pastry squares; spoon about 1 scant tablespoon filling in center of each pastry square.
- 8Fold each pastry square in half; press edges closed with tines of a fork.
- 9Brush top with egg wash; arrange 1 inch apart on a baking sheet.
- 10Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Haitian Chicken Pâté Puffs
Serving Size: 1 (42 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 129.3
- Calories from Fat 71
- Total Fat 7.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 17.1 mg
- Sodium 95.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 4.5 g