Recipe by CoffeeB
This is a great recipe for Halloween or Christmas cookie trays. Serving amount is a total guess, depending on the size you make your cookie.
Top Review by Andi of Longmeadow Farm
Count me in as a lover of *Hairballs* ~ and you can count my whole fam too, even my vegan son, who adored them. Making them vegan, instead of the m&m's I used *Whizzers* Chocolate Beans (made by Allergycare) and subbed organic soy milk (unsweetened) for the milk. I used Earth Balance Sticks in place of the butter. These were gorgeous little "Hairballs" that were as much fun to look at as to devour. I also used the tablespoon size to put them together, and rolled half in coconut. I loved the chow noodles, they really added a cuteness & a nice crunch. These were perfect! I will make more this XMAS and I know they will be gone, lickity split! Made for *Everyday is a Holiday* Novembre 2009
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 2 cups oatmeal, quick-cooking
- 1 cup chow mein noodles
- 2 cups shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 4 ounces plain chocolate candies (M&M mini's)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare coconut by placing 1 cup each into two quart-sized zip-lock baggies.
- Add a few drops of a food color to each bag. (If making for Christmas, skip this part.).
- Shake the bag vigorously to distribute.
- Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine cocoa, butter, sugar and milk, mixing well.
- Bring to a boil and cover saucepan for 30 seconds to allow sugar crystals to melt completely.
- Stir mixture and bring to a boil that can't be stirred down for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter until smooth.
- Add oatmeal and mix well.
- Let the mix stand for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally to let the oats absorb some of the liquid.
- Add chow mein noodles and stir to coat.
- Drop mix by spoonfuls onto waxed paper or parchment lined baking sheets.
- Let cool until you can touch the mix, then take the cookie and drop it into the bag of colored (or white) coconut, rolling it around to coat.
- Remove from the bag and place on wax paper.
- Add two eyes (candies) near the top of the ball.
- Store at room temperature.