Recipe by Chumleyathome
If we have broccoli and I don't make this sauce, Hailey wants to know "WHY?". This is kind of adapted from my Mom's cheese sauce. I also use this sauce for, The Best Lobster Casserole, The Best Lobster Casserole and Mom's Chicken Wiggle, Mom's Chicken Wiggle. I use the block cheese and grate it myself, you could use a milder cheddar if you prefer. BE SURE to thicken the milk mixture with the roux (roo) before you add the cheese or you will have a curdled mess.This keeps for several days in the fridge so don't toss the leftover sauce. I like it cold from the fridge on crackers or as a dip for raw veggies, too.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 5 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter over medium heat until it bubbles. Remove from heat and slowly whisk in the flour. The roux should be dry and not runny. Don't let the butter get brown or you will have a discolored sauce. Set aside.
- Combine the milk, butter, cayenne and nutmeg in a saucepan, stirring occasionally over medium heat until it just starts to boil. Whisk in the roux mixture slowly. The milk should be about twice as thick from where you started. Remove from heat and slowly whisk in the grated cheese, stirring constantly.
- Serve warm over broccoli.
- Refrigerate leftovers, the sauce will thicken in the fridge. To re-use it just microwave it a little to soften it.