Recipe by IANWATT65
I have developed this recipe from 18 yrs of making the Celtic Comestible for Burns Suppers, Scottish Games and the like here in Colorado, USA. Certain well-known ingredients such as lungs and sheep stomachs are not prepared for human consumption here, but for presentation purposes, cows stomach, or tripe, is available and looks just the thing!!
- 15 lbs lamb hearts
- 15 lbs lambs kidneys
- 15 lbs lamb liver
- 30 lbs chopped onions
- 10 lbs steel cut oats
- 1 cup chopped garlic
- 1 (1 ounce) can rubbed sage
- 1 (1 ounce) canrubbed thyme
- 1 (1 ounce) canflaked rosemary
- 2 (1 ounce) packages fresh rosemary
- 1 (1 ounce) can white pepper
- salt, to taste
- 15 large reynolds oven cooking bags
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the raw ingredients-a shrimp boiler or turkey fryer with a cage works well, for approx 1 hour.
- Chop the onions and add all the herbs and oats, mix well.
- Chop up the cooked lamb organs-a Cuisinart works well, but takes time, be careful not to turn the meat into pate.
- Mix the meat with the rest of the ingredients.
- Divide the mixture between the Reynolds oven bags.
- Tie off the bags, be careful to eliminate as much air as possible to avoid bursting the bags.
- Boil the bags of Haggis for a further 1 hour.
- Serve with bashed neeps and tatties.
- This mixture also freezes well, but be careful on reheating as the Reynolds oven bags become very brittle when you freeze them.
- Yields approx 75 lbs cooked.