Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
This is very tasty. I do tend to add a bit more tomato juice than called for as I rarely actually measure anything. This is goove on it's own with bread or over pasta.
- 4 lbs pumpkin
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 1 large onion
- 1⁄2 green pepper
- 1⁄2 zucchini
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato juice
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- fresh ground pepper
- Cut out the top of the pumpkin.
- Scrape out the seeds and fibers.
- Rinse out with water.
- Place pumpkin in cauldron and cover with tap water.
- Simmer in lightly salted water until almost tender, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- While the pumpkin is simmering, chop the onion, green pepper and zucchini into one half inch pieces.
- Mince the garlic clove.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Carefully drain out the water from the cauldron and remove pumpkin, placing it to the side.
- Add the cooking oil and the garlic to the cauldron.
- Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the onions to the cauldron and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the ground beef and sausage and brown the meat.
- Remove the cauldron from the heat.
- Add the green pepper, zucchini, tomato juice, salt, basil, thyme, and the fresh ground pepper.
- Spoon the concoction into the pumpkin.
- Carefully replace the lid.
- Place the pumpkin into the baking dish.
- Add about 1/2 inch of water to the bottom of the baking dish to keep the pumpkin from burning.
- Brush the pumpkin with cooking oil.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes.