1/1 Photo of Haddock Mornay
I bought this 1988 recipe book at a rummage sale last week. The recipes are from all the different restaurants in Wisconsin. So far all the ones I've tried have been Delicious. I forgot to add the cheddar cheese when I made it but it still tasted great. This recipe is from a restaurant called Mead Inn, Wisconsin Rapids, Wis.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -5 lbs haddock or 4 -5 lbs cod, cut in 8 serving-size portions
- melted butter or margarine to baste fish
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons minced onions
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1 quart hot milk or 1 quart half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon chicken base or 1 chicken bouillon cube
- white pepper
- 2 cups grated medium-aged cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 2 drops Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup sherry wine
- additional parmesan cheese and grated cheddar cheese mixed with a few breadcrumbs (to garnish) (optional)
- 1Bake at 350.
- 2Arrange fillets in a large shallow baking dish. Brush lightly with butter or margarine. Add salt and pepper.
- 3Place a buttered piece of brown paper or parchment paper over fish. Bake 35-40 minute or until done. Ten minute before fish is done, drain off liquid and remove paper. Fish should be just barely done with plenty of moisture still in the flesh. While fish is baking, prepare sauce.
- 4To make sauce: In heavy saucepan, heat butter, add onions and saute. Add flour, stirring constantly.
- 5Saute over low heat, stirring for 3-4 mi. to make a roux. Continue to stir, add milk or half and half and chicken base or bouillon cube. Stir until sauce thickens.
- 6Add salt and white pepper to taste. When sauce is of a medium to medium-thick consistency, remove from heat. Add cheeses and Worcestershire sauce and blend. Add sherry.
- 7Pour hot sauce over fish to cover. Top with Parmesan cheese and grated cheddar cheese mixed with a few bread crumbs, if desired.
- 8Bake in preheated 325 oven 20-30 minute or until sauce bubbles. Serve immediately. Makes 8-10 servings.
- 9If dish is prepared ahead and baked later, be sure that the center of the sauce is bubbling when reheated. This will take about 1 hour.
Browse Our Top Very Low Carbs Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Haddock Mornay
Serving Size: 1 (321 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 502.3
- Calories from Fat 191
- Total Fat 21.2 g
- Saturated Fat 12.8 g
- Cholesterol 212.7 mg
- Sodium 902.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 57.4 g