A traditional recipe, it is simple and homey. This recipe serves 3-4 but can easily be doubled.
Make and share this Hackbraten (German Meatloaf) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb ground beef (or 1/2 lb Beef, 1/2 lb Pork)
- 1⁄2 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 medium onions
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 slices bacon
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 large carrot
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon flour (for thickening) or 1 tablespoon cornstarch (for thickening)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease or spray baking dish that will hold your loaf with room around the edges for veggies.
- In large bowl, gently mix Ground Meat and Breadcrumbs until combined.
- Peel and dice on 1 Onion , heat 1 Tbsp of Butter in hot skillet, add diced Onion and Parsley , sauté until Onion is golden brown.
- Beat Eggs in large shallow container; add Salt, Pepper, Rosemary and Nutmeg to Egg and mix. Pour Onion/Parsley mixture and Egg mixture over Ground Meat, knead together until uniformly mixed.
- Mold meat mixture into loaf; roll in Flour until coated on all sides.
- Lay Bacon slices in the middle of small casserole dish, set floured Loaf on top of Bacon.
- Peel and slice Carrot and second Onion, pour Broth into casserole dish; scatter sliced Carrot and Onion around Meatloaf.
- Heat 4 Tbsp Butter in warm skillet.
- Pour hot Butter over meatloaf and place dish in preheated oven.
- Bake 1 hour (or until cooked through (at least 160 degrees - no pink should be left), basting often With 5-10 minutes cook time remaining, spread Sour Cream over Meatloaf.
- Remove dish from oven, move meatloaf to serving dish.
- Stir Flour or Cornstarch into the juice remaining in pan to make sauce, return to oven to thicken or transfer mixture to a pot which can go on your stove top.
- Slice and serve while hot.