Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This bean dish can be either served as a side, or as a main course with white cooked riced added just before serving.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs dried pinto beans
- 3 quarts water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 lb smoked bacon
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 -2 drop liquid smoke
- Sort beans and remove any debris.
- Add beans to water in pressure cooker.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Soak overnight.
- Add the rest of the salt to taste, bacon, onion, and garlic powder.
- Pressure cook beans until tender, but firm.
- Cooking times will vaary with altitude, but 15-20 minutes on a medium rock will cook them well.
- Run cool water over pressure cooker lid before removing lid.
- Wait for vents to drop before rotating the lid from the pot.
- Add tomatos and cilantro.
- Stir and simmer on low until heated through.
- Add liquid smoke, if desired.
I simmered on the stove rather than using a pressure cooker, but the ingredients and flavors are pretty spot on when it comes to Hacienda Style beans, which are the BEST beans ever. Thanks for the recipes.