The French like their casseroles just like we do. Easy & good.
Make and share this Hachis Parmentier (Mashed Potato Casserole) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (or pressed)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon herbes de provence (or other herbs to your taste)
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 4 -5 cups mashed potatoes (instant is fine)
- 3⁄4 cup gruyere cheese, grated (can also use emmental or similar)
- In a large frying pan, cook the onions & garlic in the butter & olive oil on medium heat for about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, ground beef, herbs, salt & pepper. Cook until the meat is browned thoroughly. Turn off heat & add egg yolk & Parmesan cheese, stirring to mix completely.
- Spread the meat in the bottom of a lightly oiled oven proof dish (a 9x13 would be perfect). Spread the potatoes on top of the meat mixture. And finish by sprinkling the grated cheese on top.
- Bake in 400 deg oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until the cheese is melted & the potatoes lightly browned.