Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
HP Sauce to the British is like Ketchup to every North American. It took me years to create this clone, it's original, and it's perfect. Try it for yourself. Recipe volume can be increased 4 times without flavour loss.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste (1 small can)
- 3⁄4 cup dark corn syrup
- 1⁄4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1⁄4 cup pitted dates (chopped fine)
- 3 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
- 3 tablespoons apple juice
- 3 tablespoons tamarind pulp
- 3⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom (ground)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- In a large pot, add water, white vinegar, tomato paste, corn syrup, orange juice concentrate, dates, molasses, apple juice, and tamarind pulp. Stir to blend. Over medium heat and covered, bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to a slow simmer and simmer covered for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Using a spice grinder, thoroughly grind onion powder, cloves, black peppercorns, cardamom, garlic powder, mustard seed, cayenne, salt, and cinnamon.
- After simmering in step #1, use an immersion Blender to purée mixture and reduce lumps. Add ground spice mixture to pot, stir to blend and simmer (covered) for another 30 - 45 minutes.
- Add cider vinegar to pot, stir to blend and return to a simmer. When pot has reached a simmer, remove from heat and strain hot mixture through a wire strainer into a clean pot. Keep liquid, discard pulp. Rinse original pot and restrain mixture back into original pot, return to heat and simmer until thick.
- Ladle hot sauce mixture into hot, prepared sealable bottles and seal. Allow to cool. Keeps indefinitely in cupboard, refrigerate after opening.
Bless you! Sometimes finding HP is so difficult. When my local Brit. supplier is out, I am bereft! Now I can make mine own. Thank you!
I visited England last summer and fell in love with this steak sauce. I made this recipe this summer and it is very good. It takes some effort making this but worth it.