Recipe by Gingerbee
I guess I'm showing my age when I remember H.O. oatmeal? I don't know if that brand exists anymore, but the recipe came from the box panel and boy were they good. Nothing fancy, just pure and simple ingredients make these wonderful oatmeal cookies. HO oats were quick cook oats and that they were small and powdery in texture. Maybe that's why there was no flour in the recipe??? Since I use whole oats which are hard to stick together; I put my oats in the food processor and pulse a few times which breaks them down and makes a kind of flour out of them.
Top Review by Anonymous
My Mom made these all the time and they would disappear in a flash. I think the original recipe called for stick margarine instead of butter, probably a brand that doesn't exist anymore.... I have the original recipe somewhere....!
- 3 1⁄4 cups oatmeal (pulsed in the food processor for a few times to make them kind of floury)
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all the ingredients.
- Blend thoroughly with hands until mixture holds together.
- Press dough into 1-inch balls.
- Flatten with a fork; Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until light brown.
- (You could add raisins, or chocolate chips to fancy these up).