Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I can't vouch for the authenticity of this dish as actually being South African but I can assure you that it is different and delicious. My mom's vegetarian friend brought this over to a potluck Christmas lunch when we were kids. Naturally as a family of serious carnivores we were suspicious of "vegetarian health stuff" and to say that us kids were fond of eggplant would be a gross understatement! We hated the stuff! So it was only under extreme pressure and outright threats from mom that we tasted this just to be polite. The fact that I am making this some 25 years later tells you that it's good. Vegetarians surprise your carnivore friends with this tasty side dish every time. Oh and by the way it's goes great with a roasted or stewed lamb! LOL
- 2 cups tomatoes, rough chopped (leave the seeds in as you need the moisture)
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 ounces raisins
- 3⁄4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 eggplants
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons unsalted peanuts, lightly roasted, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Put raisins to soak in some water so that they plump up.
- Peel and cut eggplants into cubes. Put to steam on the stove in a vegetable basket steamer. Turn cubes occasionally so that the ones on top cook through.
- Meanwhile sauté garlic and onion on high heat. Cook until onions are translucent. Add the tomatoes and cook for about 2 minutes more. Turn down the heat.
- Drain the raisins of excess water before adding them to the garlic, onion mixture. Add the nuts and breadcrumbs. Mix thoroughly.
- Finally mix in the eggplant and add salt.
- Transfer the mix to a casserole dish. Top with grated cheese.
- Bake in 325 degree oven for 20-25 minutes.
This was nice. I like not having to pre-fry the eggplant. I halved the amount of cheese, as it is so fat. My kids did not eat this so I have to keep this for adult guests.
Very nice and easy to make. Will definitely be added to my vegetarian collection. Having a vegetarian daughter I am always on the lookout for something new. Thank you.
I quite enjoyed this. I used a cheddar/mozzarella cheese combination because that's what I had on hand.