Recipe by mollypaul
Calf's liver is sweeter and more delicately flavored than beef liver. From the Southwest chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons bacon fat
- 1 small onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped green bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon pimiento, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, chopped
- 1⁄2 garlic clove, mashed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups tomatoes, cooked (canned is fine)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs calf liver, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- minced parsley, for garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt fat; add onion and green pepper and cook for ten minutes.
- Add next six ingredients and cook over low heat for about an hour.
- Dip sliced liver in flour and saute in hot olive oil until browned on both sides.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- place on heated platter and pour hot sauce over the top.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.