Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is my kind of Gyudon, my family favorite. I have made it million times (literally). It is such a quick and simple recipe that can be fixed in no time. Even Dashi and Mirin are not required. The recipe is posted here for safe keeping. Hope you like it as much as I do.
- Combine water, soy sauce, Chinese cooking wine and sugar.
- Pour 1/3 cup of the soy sauce mixture over beef and marinade it for at least 10 minutes.
- Heat vegetable oil in a wok. Add chopped onion and stir-fry until the onion is transparent.
- Add the marinade beef and stir-fry until it is cooked about 3 minutes.
- Pour the remaining soy sauce mixture in the wok. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add beaten egg in the wok and cover for 2 minutes.
- Serve Gyudon over hot rice. Season with Japanese grounded chili and pepper for an extra kick.
I added some minced garlic & fresh grated ginger to the marinade. I wasn't sure what Japanese grounded chili was so I used about a teaspoon of Sambal Oelek chili paste when stir frying the meat. Served over rice with some steamed snap peas made a quick & easy meal. Thanks for sharing, Second2None! Made for Unrated Asian recipe tag game.