Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Use this on whole or cut up pieces of meat. If the chili powder seems to hot for you, leave it out, it will still be a nice spice mix. There is no salt added to the mix.When marinating small pieces of meat I like to add fresh cut up coriander leaves. Marinating time can be 20 minutes and up to a day. Together with the lemon juice you can also use buttermilk or yogurt.
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 tablespoon paprika, hot or sweet
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Mix herbs and spices, transfer to a jar.
- Use for chicken, lamb, pork and minced/ground meats.
- Mix a few teaspoons with lemon/lime juice, olive oil and salt to taste and mix that with the type of meat you selected.
- For kebabs or burgers, add to the mince with some salt.
TO DIE FOR!!! I used 1 T. chili powder being that this was the first time I made this. I also halved the cinnamon as I was a little nervous to use so much! I mixed 3 teaspoons with 3/4 lb ground lamb and 1 1/2 lb ground chuck with a generous squirt of fresh lemon juice, a crushed clove of garlic, and a chopped onion. I let the mixture sit all morning and made up patties in the evening. We grilled them and made them into Gyros burgers as Dh forgot to pick up pitas! Even the kids ate every last drop and as picky as they are that's a miracle! This mix will become a staple in our house, I can't wait to try it with other meats! Thanks Annelies!
This was an awesome recipe, I cook a lot, try different things and this was an awesome Greek legit recipe. Do it! You will be most pleased! I used 2 lbs of ground organic turkey. It was PERFECT!
Not right, not good. This spice mix is like no gyro I've ever had. It's not horrible and won't make you sick, but it's also not authentic or right-tasting at all. I tried it based on the reviews, but the resulting taste is not right at all. I recognize that it includes much cumin and coriander, not enough garlic. Otherwise, I don't know what is missing or excessive--which is why I looked for a recipe.