Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
Gyros ("yeeros" in Greek) is made with compressed meat,consisting of various cuts of beef that are chopped, minced or ground,then shaped into a cylindrical shape, and roasted on a vertical skewer. This is a good substitute for the commercial gyro.
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano (rub between your fingers)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 lb flank steak
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 4 pita bread rounds
- 3 cups lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup peeled diced and seeded tomatoes
- 1 cup peeled diced and seeded cucumber
- 1 cup plain yogurt (drained)
- Combine wine, oil, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Cut steak across the grain into slices as thin as possible.
- I use the Chinese trick of putting the meat in the freezer and partially freeze so that it will slice easier.
- Pour wine marinade over meat strips, refrigerate and marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Drain strips.
- Add butter or margarine to saute' pan.
- Add meat, in two batches, and saute' until brown on both sides.
- Remove to serving platter and keep warm.
- Wrap pitas in damp paper towels and microwave until very warm.
- Open one end of each pita to make pocket.
- Set out lettuce, tomato, cucumber, and yogurt.
- Let each person make his own.
- Tips: If you are lucky enough to have a Middle Eastern food store around,ask them for Lebne (pronounced"leeb nee") and use in place of the drained yogurt.
- It is much richer and creamier.
- Or make your own Tzatziki (cucumber, garlic, yogurt dip).
These are fabulous!! I love that they use steak instead of ground beef. YUM!! Used cucumber sauce #129930 instead of what's listed and added some feta cheese on top. Thanks so much for sharing!! :O)
This tasted pretty authentic, and I'm pysched that I picked THIS gyro recipe out of all the others. I will definitely be making this again. I didn't really change anything, and found that the plain yogurt was just tangy enough to satisfy. Thanks for the keeper!
This tasted pretty authentic and the marinade is very tasty I'll be making this again and again