Prep 24 hrs
Cook 25 mins
Traditional Greek Gyros
- 2 lbs lean lamb fillets, ground
- 2 slices bread, toasted and crushed
- 1 teaspoon allspice, pounded
- 1 teaspoon coriander, crushed
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 onion, grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh savory, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 slices bacon
- 6 pita pocket bread
- 2 tomatoes, sliced thin
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- In large bowl, combine ground lamb with bread, allspice, coriander, garlic, onion, savory, salt, and pepper, knead thoroughly; mixture should be spicey, though not too herby and hold its shape.
- Break into 5 sections, each as large as a navel orange, then break each section into 6 balls.
- Knead and flatten slightly to a thickness of about 3/4".
- Cut the bacon slices into widths equal to these balls, keeping slices of bacon between them.
- Slip a cane skewer through centers and roll gently with palms to smooth edges; there will be 5 or 6 skewers depending on their length.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to cook, set on broiler tray or grill and cook under moderate heat, turning every 5 mins, the bacon will baste the meat.
- The surface will be crusty and the inside cooked within 25 minutes.
- To serve, put out the bread, meat, tomatoes seasoned with vinegar and oil, parsley, and yogurt in separate dishes.
- Guests may open the pitas and stuff them with meat and seasonings.