1/2 Photos of Gyros
1 hr 5 mins
I used to consider this something I would eat out as I could not make it at home. No more. I tested a couple recipe variations and it really is easier than you might think. Part of what is so nice is you can freeze part of the loaf and quarter or half pound pieces and pull it out any time. All you have to do is slice and broil for a few minutes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb beef, ground
- 1 lb lamb, ground
- 6 ounces pork sausage (plain or sage. Bacon, fine dice or ground will work)
- 1/2 cup onion, fine dice
- tzatziki, sauce Cucumber Tzatziki (or a tzatziki sauce you like)
- pita bread, Arabian Pita Bread (or a recipe you like, storebought if you must)
- 1If you bought unground lamb, it is better if you grind it before you continue and not go straight to the food processor.
- 2Place the onion and garlic in the food processor and process until tiny, it will be spun on the side walls of the containter.
- 3Add the meat, spices and any optional spices you prefer.
- 4Process until very well blended.
- 5Place in the fridge for a couple hours (or up to 24 hours). This developes the flavors.
- 6Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 7Use a roasting pan or foil lined baking sheet. Form a 5 inch wide 1.5 inch tall and as long as it goes loaf on the pan.
- 8Bake until cooked through. Internal temp will be 160°F It will take 30-45 minutes.
- 9Alternatively you can sous vide the meat at 165F for at least 2 hours. The nice thing about this choice is that it will hold for as long as you need it to at that temperature.
- 10In the mean time you have made your Tzatziki sauce and Pita bread.
- 11When ready to serve slice the loaf as thin as possible. Place it under the broiler for just a few minutes. Enough time to heat it through and brown the edges.
- 12Place the meat in a pita.
- 13Add Tzatziki sauce.
- 14Optionally you can add cucumbers, tomatoes, calamata olives, feta, onions and/or greek peppers.
- 15Time does not include refrigeration time.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gyros
Serving Size: 1 (974 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 4316.5
- Calories from Fat 3714
- Total Fat 412.7 g
- Saturated Fat 167.4 g
- Cholesterol 811.9 mg
- Sodium 3133.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 128.8 g