This is a recipe by Paul Delios and here is a link to his recipe: http://www.greekboston.com/greek_lifestyle/recipes.shtml, that I adapted to suit my tastes, for seasonings. Here is what is stated about the recipe: "My Papou first introduced this dish to me when I was just a boy. This was when flank steak was considered one of the less desirable cuts of meat because of its stringiness, only the real ethnic groups new how to prepare this tough cut of meat, Well nowadays this cut is readily available at most supermarkets and enjoyed by all. I loved this dish so much that I decided to make it at the James Beard House where it was warmly received back in March of 2006" Posting for ZWT, so untried by me at time of posting.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat grill or grill pan to high.
- 2Essentially, you want a thinner, larger flank steak laid the flank steak open,
- 3Using the mallet pound out the meat evenly.
- 4Spread the flank steak out so that the grain is running left to right. Begin layering the flank steak with gyro spice mix and the Mizithra cheese.
- 5Take the flank steak and tightly roll away from you. Evenly insert the skewers every 1 to 2 inches along the seam of the gyro roll this will to hold it together on the grill.
- 6Cut in between each skewer but not against the skewer; you want the same amount of meat on either side of each skewer, lay them in a sallow pan or dish and squeeze the juice of one lemon and 1/2 cup of olive oil over the meat and let marinate for 1 hour to overnight . Grill the Gyros on each side for about 4 to 6 minutes or until your desired doneness.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gyro Steaks
Serving Size: 1 (142 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 523.5
- Calories from Fat 370
- Total Fat 41.1 g
- Saturated Fat 9.5 g
- Cholesterol 115.6 mg
- Sodium 92.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 36.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: