Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A healthier version of the gyros you get at the corner greasy spoon. I love those things but they don't love me! This one is better for you. From the Daily Herald's 'Lean & Lovin It' column.
- 1 lb ground lamb, the leanest possible
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs (about 3 slices of bread)
- 6 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- pita bread round
- tzatziki, sauce
- Place oven rack in lower-middle position and heat to 350°.
- Lightly spray bottom and sides of a loaf pan with vegetable oil spray and set aside.
- Break up ground lamb and beef into a large bowl and add bread crumbs, parsley, egg, egg white, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper; using clean hands, combine the mixture well, then lightly press meat mixture together, lift it out of the bowl and place in prepared pan.
- Using a small spatula, pull mixture up and away from the sides of the pan and smooth out the top.
- Bake 60 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted in the center reads 150°; cool to room temperature, remove from pan and wrap in plastic wrap, then into foil; refrigerate until serving time.
- Before serving, slice the chilled meatload and cook in a nonstick frying pan until crisp; serve in pita rounds (which you can warm and brown in the same pan as the meat) with tzatziki sauce**there are many excellent tzatziki sauces listed here on Zaar so I didn't add my own, do a search and choose what looks best to you.