Top Review by Teachart
This recipe sounds so simple, but I have made it several times (twice today!) and it A) always comes out different and B) never tastes the way it used to at school. I have also tried boiling the evaporated in milk (still in the can) in a pan of water and then cooling it, before whipping it with the sugar, which improved it a bit. There must be a knack in it!
- 1 (14 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 12 ounces dark muscovado sugar
- 1 shortcrust pastry, baked (10-inch)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Whisk evaporated milk and sugar together for 10 - 15 minutes until light and fluffy. The mix should be coffee coloured.
- Pour the mix into the pastry case and bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- The gypsy tart will have a slightly sticky surface but will not be set completely until it has been left to cool.
- Serve cold.