Recipe by yogi
Found this in Jane Brody's Good Food Book. Also featured in The Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen. Delicious!!! You can subtitute the vegetables to what you have on hand, like carrots and green beans instead of the potato and green peppers.
Top Review by cpenner
A delicious soup! I omitted the oil and changed the vegetables a bit: less tomatoes, less green peppers, less chickpeas, no sweet potatoes, added carrots and green beans. Very flavourful -- I liked the spice combination. Another keeper, yogi! UPDATE: I made this a second time, using tomatoes, chickpeas, lots of cabbage, some sweet potatoes and carrots and green pepper. It was delicious once again!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large chopped onions (2 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery (1 large stalk)
- 2 cups peeled chopped sweet potatoes
- 3 cups vegetable broth (or other flavor)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 dash cinnamon
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 cup chopped tomato (fresh or canned)
- 3⁄4 cup chopped green pepper (1 large)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or 1 tablespoon tamari
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large pot, and saute onion, garlic, celery and potato for about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, bay leaf, and spices, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer (covered) 15 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, peppers and chick peas, simmer at least 10 minutes more.
- Stir in soy sauce and serve.