Found this in Jane Brody's Good Food Book. Also featured in The Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen. Delicious!!! You can subtitute the vegetables to what you have on hand, like carrots and green beans instead of the potato and green peppers.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large chopped onions (2 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped celery (1 large stalk)
- 2 cups peeled chopped sweet potatoes
- 3 cups vegetable broth (or other flavor)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 dash cinnamon
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 cup chopped tomato (fresh or canned)
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper (1 large)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1Heat oil in large pot, and saute onion, garlic, celery and potato for about 5 minutes.
- 2Add broth, bay leaf, and spices, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer (covered) 15 minutes.
- 3Add tomatoes, peppers and chick peas, simmer at least 10 minutes more.
- 4Stir in soy sauce and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gypsy Soup
Serving Size: 1 (221 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 280.3
- Calories from Fat 74
- Total Fat 8.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 574.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.1 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 7.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: