Recipe by YungB
I first tasted this dish in a restaurant here in Santa Monica, CA. It was marvelous so I went home and tried to recreate it. My family thinks it is better than the original. I also hope that you will like it.
Top Review by Gerry
We love Chicken, green peppers and tomatoes, combined with that wonderful combination of seasonings this was a winner at our house. Other than the gumbo file which I have still to find, I made as posted with wonderful results. Served over rice along with a green salad this made for a terrific supper. Thank you YungB will be making this again very soon.
- 2 lbs chicken breasts or 2 lbs chicken thighs, cut into byte sized pieces
- 3 medium green peppers, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (1 lb) can whole tomato, diced
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons gumbo file
- 2 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 2 -3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sliced black olives
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour 2 Tablespoons of olive oil in the pan and cook the chicken until the juice runs clear.
- Remove from pan, let cool slightly in a bowl.
- Saute the green peppers, onion, and garlic in the other 2 Tablespoon of olive oil until vegetables are tender but dont over cook them.
- Add thyme, bay leaf, gumbo file, hot pepper sauce, and Worcestershire, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook 15 minutes.
- Add chicken and cook another 10 minutes.
- Lastly, add olives and heat through. Serve over rice.