Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Passed along to my family by a close family friend originally from Cuba. A great tasting light sponge cake dessert in the form of a jelly roll/Swiss roll that can be filled with any desired filling.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Beat eggs for 10 minutes.
- Add sugar and continue beating.
- Add water, baking powder and vanilla, keep beating.
- Gently fold flour into batter.
- Line a large cookie sheet (make sure not to use the largest size as cake will come out too thin) with foil and grease well.
- Pour batter evenly onto lined cookie sheet.
- Bake approximately 20 minutes or until golden brown and well done.
- While cake is baking, dampen two clean dish towels. Towels should be slightly larger than the cookie sheet.
- When cake is ready, lay one towel on counter and transfer cake with foil onto towel.
- Lay the second towel over the top of the cake and roll the cake length-wise forming a cylinder shape.
- After about a minute or two, unroll cake and flip cake with towels upside down to remove foil then flip cake over once more to fill.
- Spread filling of choice (e.g. vanilla/lemon/chocolate pudding or mousse) all over the cake taking care not to go completely to the edges.
- Once filled, gentle roll cake back into cylinder shape.
- Top either with confectioner's sugar or a Syrup Topping (see below). Serve chilled.
- Note : Syrup Topping - mix 1 part sugar to 2 parts water, pour over cake. Rum or whiskey or vermouth may be added for additional taste if desired.