1/1 Photo of Guy's Veggie Soup (Not Vegetarian)
1 hr 10 mins
Guy, my husband, is from Oklahoma. I am a native Californian who never tasted Okra until we married. I introduced him to the finer points of Serrano chilies and, in return, he created this delicious soup recipe that combines both Okra and Serranos.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 olive oil
- 2 (15 -22 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces frozen sliced okra (or equivalent fresh)
- 2 slices bacon, diced
- 1 ear of corn, kernels sliced from cob (or equivalent frozen kernels)
- 1 serrano chili, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- schillings california style garlic powder (we use a lot & like this style the best)
- 1In large soup pot or dutch oven, sauté the onion, celery and bacon in olive oil until veggies are tender.
- 2Add 1 can chicken broth, okra, corn, seranno slices (important: use 4- 8 slices, depending on your taste for hot things), chili powder, black pepper and garlic powder to taste.
- 3Bring to a boil, lower heat to a simmer and simmer covered until okra is tender, about 20- 25 minutes.
- 4Add 1 can chicken broth and 2 cans tomatoes.
- 5Continue simmering on low for an additional 20 minutes.
- 6Add fresh mushrooms.
- 7Taste to adjust seasonings and add additional chicken broth to soup to fit your personal taste for consistency.
- 8Here is where you might add salt if needed.
- 9Simmer 10 minutes more.
- 10Serve and enjoy!
- 11Especially good with a warm loaf of fresh sourdough and butter.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Guy's Veggie Soup (Not Vegetarian)
Serving Size: 1 (339 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 137.3
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 2.7 mg
- Sodium 792.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 9.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: