Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Untested by me, posted for ZWT III. From allrecipes.com UPDATE: CulinaryQueen was the guinea pig on these and has added various notes and changes. Please note, although the title of these are 'Buns' they spread out like a very flat cookie.
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180°C.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add butter, and cut in using a pastry blender or a fork until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and almond extract.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and pour in the wet ingredients. Add coconut, and mix just enough to blend.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets, 2-3 inches apart as they really spread.
- Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown. Keep an eye on these as they will burn if left in too long.
- Transfer to a cooking rack immediately or else they will stick to the pan.
- Cookies are soft with crunch edges at first but get completely crunchy upon cooling.
I did half the recipe and I was supposed to have 24 buns. But I got 17 buns. When I put them on the baking sheet, they were like balls. They keep that shape. They are like macaroons. They have a soft interior. If you like coconut macaroons, you'll love these cookies. They didn't turn crunchy but that's ok for me. I like how they turned out. Maybe I made them too big. For half the recipe, it was 1/2 cup sugar needed for I used only 1/4 cup. Which is perfect. Thanks Mandy. Made for the Babes of ZWT4
Tasty ,easy to make and the batter tastes good as well. I know cause I licked the beaters. I made the second batch a bit smaller in size so I got more cookies. The coconut was just enough to give it flavour but not to sweet. Made this for ZWT4 for the Chic Chefs. Well you get 2 reviews on this one. I halved the recipe and used honey instead of sugar for the challenge. The neighbours ate them as I was taking them out of the oven. So I guess the honey works.
Very good and easy. I think any coconut lover would love these. They had great flavor! Made for ZWT4 for the Tastebud Tickling Travellers.