1/1 Photo of Guy Savoy's Spinach and Mushroom Gratin
Chef Kate's Note:
The reduction of the cream makes this gratin very special. From "Guy Savoy: Simple French Recipes for the Home Cook."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Clean the mushrooms and cut them into one-eighth-inch slices.
- 2In a medium skillet, heat the butter over high heat just until melted, then add the mushrooms and sauté them until golden, about 10 minutes. Drain any liquid from the mushrooms and set them aside.
- 3Place 2 quarts of water in a medium stock pot with one-half teaspoons salt.
- 4Bring the water to a boil over high heat, then stir in the spinach and blanch for just a few seconds, until wilted and bright green in color.
- 5Remove the spinach using a slotted spoon to a large bowl of ice water until cool. Drain the spinach well, squeezing out any excess water.
- 6Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 7Reduce the cream to one-half cup in a small saucepan over low heat.
- 8Strain the cream into a small bowl and season with a pinch each of salt and pepper.
- 9Butter a small (2-quart) baking dish, and spread the spinach in the bottom in an even layer.
- 10Sprinkle the top of the spinach with one-eighth teaspoons salt.
- 11Arrange the mushroom slices over the spinach in a fish-scale pattern.
- 12Spoon the cream evenly over the top and bake for 5 to 10 minutes, until heated through. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Guy Savoy's Spinach and Mushroom Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (307 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 345.9
- Calories from Fat 294
- Total Fat 32.6 g
- Saturated Fat 19.9 g
- Cholesterol 113.3 mg
- Sodium 124.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 8.3 g