Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Guy's new cookbook, these are for you chicken lovers! He says these will rock 'n' roll without getting fried.
- 5 lbs chicken wings
- 6 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup chili-garlic sauce
- 1 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup sweet soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sriracha sauce
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds (put in dry skillet and toast over low heat-watch carefully)
- 1 tablespoon minced green onion
- Cut wings apart at joints and discard tips(or save to make chicken broth). In a large glass bowl, combine water, salt, 1/4 cup of the chili garlic sauce and 1/4 cup of the honey. Stir until the salt is dissolved. Add the wings and chill for 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- To make the basting and dipping sauce, in a small bowl, combine the remaining chili garlic sauce, soy sauce, sweet soy sauce, sriracha, remaining honey, vinegar, and ginger and mix well. Set aside half of the sauce for serving in order to avoid contamination.
- Preheat the grill to medium high. Drain the wings and season them with sea salt and pepper. Grill the wings until golden, 15-20 minutes, turning as needed. When the wings reach the right color, continue cooking over indirect heat until they're at the desired doneness, then baste them with the sauce, turning as needed until the wings are glossy and well coated. Garnish the wings with the sesame seeds and green onion and serve with the reserved dipping sauce.
I made them just the way Guy wanted me to. They were great, that extra basting sauce is SUPER spicy if you dip in it! My guests thought they were excellent and requested the recipe!
Wow!!! What a different type of wing!! I made 1/2 of the recipe with about 1 3/4 lbs chicken wings. DH and I enjoyed them for lunch with some potato salad. These are on the sweet and pretty spicy side!!! I made it with the chili garlic sauce and all the other ingredients, but had to make my own sweet soy sauce, which I found a couple of recipes as substitutes ( 3 parts soy sauce to one part brown sugar). I cooked mine on the gas grill over indirect heat and at the end basted the wings as instructed and it worked out great. I didn't bother topping them with the toasted sesame seeds or green onions since it was just the 2 of us. DH went back for seconds, but I am a wimp when it comes to spicy, so I just had 4 wings, and that was enough to get my mouth feeling like it was on fire lol!! Thanks for sharing the recipe Sharon. Made for PRMR Tag game.
Absolutely FANTASTIC wings! I didn't have the chili garlic sauce so I used sweet Thai chili sauce. I have to admit that I didn't really watch the time, but I baked these on a baking sheet in the oven at 400F for about 15 minutes per side and then turned on the broiler to add some colour. Doing it this way, I just tossed the wings in all of the sauce and didn't baste. Loved the level of heat and simplicity of these wings. I will make these again for sure. And again. And... again! Made for PRMR tag game. Thanks Sharon123! :)