Recipe by Adrienne in Reisterstown
Absolutely crazy insane delicious. I didn't bother with making a pie crust. A Pillsbury fresh frozen one worked just fine. The Mojo sauce had mixed reviews in the family. I didn't care for it but the hubby thought it was ok and the daughter liked it. In addition, I used a pulled pork from a tub that had a very light, mild and sweet bbq sauce to it. I also used a bit more swiss cheese -- ok we like cheese. We didn't bother with the tomato and pickle decoration either. It smelled so good and look so good coming out of the oven there was no time for that. Enjoy! It's awesome!
Top Review by kadiprimo
I made the crust in my food processor, it was very quick but NOT good. I would use a store bought crust next time like the other reviewers. Or just make it in a sandwich, I'm not convinced a pie is such a great vehicle for a cuban. Interesting idea, though. And the flavor of the actual pie is great of course, since its just regular cuban sandwich ingredients.
Pie Crust Ingredients
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups shortening
- 8 -10 teaspoons cold water
- 1⁄2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 cup garlic, minced, plus
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1⁄2 cup roma tomato, diced
Cuban Pie Ingredients
- 8 ounces swiss cheese, shredded
- 7 ounces barbecued pork, bbq style pulled pork
- 5 ounces deli ham, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons mustard, your preference
- 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese, freshly shredded or grated
- 2 dill pickles, thin sliced
- 1 tomatoes, thin sliced
Mojo Sour cream (Alla Munee) Ingredients
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
Directions See How It's Made
- Mojo Sour cream (Alla Munee) Directions:.
- Mix in bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Cuban Pie Crust Directions:
- Sift together flour and salt into medium bowl.
- Gently blend shortening into flour until mixture is crumbly.
- Stir in just enough cold water to keep it all together.
- Knead or process until smooth ball is formed, as little work as possible.
- Roll in a ball and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove, divide into 2 equal balls and roll out to 9-inches.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Drape crust into pie tin, poke with a fork and cover with waxed paper.
- Fill bottom with dried beans and bake pie shell for 10 minutes or until crust lightly browns.
- Remove and cool before filling.
- Sofrito Directions:.
- Add oil to a medium saute pan over medium heat. Add onions, peppers, and garlic, cook until translucent, but do not brown.
- Add tomatoes, cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and hold to add to pork.
- Pie Filling Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add 2 ounces of the Swiss cheese to pre-cooked pie shell, add pulled pork on top of Swiss cheese.
- Top pulled pork with sofrito mixture.
- Add remaining Swiss on top of pork.
- Lay sliced ham on top of Swiss cheese.
- Mix together the heavy cream and mustard and pour on top of ham and then top with Parmesan.
- Add pie crust to top, wrap aluminum foil around edges of pie crust, and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove pie from oven, let cool and set for 5 minutes.
- Add sliced pickles to the center of the pie, starting at the center and fanning the pickles in the middle.
- Add sliced tomatoes to the outside ring of the edge of the pie, overlapping the pickles in the center.
- Cut pie and serve with dollop of Mojo Sour cream.