Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
A copycat recipe from a chain of restaurants called Guthrie's. This sauce is just great on chicken fingers.
- 1⁄2 cup Hellmann's mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup Heinz ketchup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vinegar
- black pepper
- In a bowl, mix all ingredients together except for the black pepper.
- Now, cover the top surface of the sauce with black pepper and stir until blended again.
- Repeat process with the another layer of black pepper and stir until blended.
- You must let the sauce sit in the refrigerator for about two hours prior to use in order for the flavors to mingle.
Great recipe! I made to surprise my wife for dinner the other night with Shake & Bake chicken. I made a few adjustments:
*Used Hellman's Light Mayo
*Did 3 layers of course ground black pepper
*Added an extra squirt of Worcestershire sauce
*Added an extra squirt of Heinz Ketchup
It definitely needs to sit for a few hours. In my case I let it sit overnight. It turned out delicious. I doubled up all the ingredients to make more. It is about 90% the same as Guthrie's Chicken sauce but if was any closer, it'd be Guthrie's! I wonder what the secret ingredient is?
Let's be clear folks -- Guthrie's was the original retaurant, started in 1965. Second restaurant was in Auburn, AL, and the third in Athens, GA. Zaxby's was started in the early 1990's, in south Georgia. I understand that there was a lawsuit -- a former employee apparently stole the recipe and process from Guthrie's. The employee was at the Athens, GA location of Guthries.
THis recipe was pretty good. Not quite Guthrie's but close enough to count. Thanks, brings back great memories.