Recipe by EdsGirlAngie
A juicy ground sirloin burger seasoned with lots of smoky delights, stuffed with smoked gouda cheese and topped with smoked ham make up this burger that I created for my boyfriend just to say "thanks" for being my recipe guinea-pig! This recipe will make either two 1/2-pound burgers, or three 1/3-pound burgers.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3 tablespoons smoky barbecue sauce (your own or bottled; I like Uncle Dougie's from Barrington, IL)
- 5 -6 dashes TABASCO® brand Chipotle Pepper Sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons liquid smoke (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 lb smoked gouda cheese or 1⁄4 lb cheddar cheese, preferably at room temperature (enough to have 2 tbsp. per burger)
- 1⁄4 lb thinly sliced smoked ham (enough for 3 or 4 thin slices per burger)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 -3 good sandwich buns (I like the ones dusted with cornmeal)
- more barbecue sauce
- i like to use a little jack daniels hickory smoke mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- In olive oil, briefly saute ham slices and onion slices together until lightly browned.
- Remove and wrap in foil to keep warm in oven.
- Mix barbecue sauce, chipotle Tabasco sauce, and Liquid Smoke into ground sirloin.
- Separate into 2 or 3 servings, then separate again to make two separate patties per burger.
- Layer smoked cheese of choice in the center; cover with"matching" patty and seal edges tightly.
- At this point, you can either cook the cheese-stuffed patties in the same skillet used to saute the ham and onions, or throw'em on the grill (mmmmmmm!) For the pan-frying method, it will take about 7 minutes per side for the two burgers (1/2 pound size).
- To serve, top each burger with 3 or 4 slices of ham and some onions.
- I like to serve with more barbecue sauce and Jack Daniels Hickory Smoke mustard.