Recipe by DbKnadler
The recipe came about because I was just feeling lazy and didn't want to put much thought into dinner so I told my sister that I had gotten out a roll of breakfast sausage to thaw for the following nights dinner and was just gonna brown it up and toss it in with some mac n cheese (something my family rarely eats anymore). She suggested the broccoli and tomatoes and that got me thinking. I made a casserole out of it. It turned out so good I had to have seconds even though I didn't really need them and thats how I came up with the name (cuz my stomach felt like busting open after I was done.) I used sage flavored sausage but you could use any flavor you like. Spicy might by fun to try if my kids weren't afraid of heat. BTW, the kids loved it and I didn't even have to harp on them about eating all of their veggies, which always makes mealtime easier!
- 16 ounces sausage
- 12 ounces prepared macaroni and cheese (the kind with the creamy sauce)
- 1 cup fresh broccoli, diced
- 1⁄4 cup sweet onion, diced
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes (or shredded if you prefer)
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- 4 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees farenheit.
- Brown sauage in a deep skillet, add onion and saute until it is just beginning to soften.
- Add macaroni, water, and broccoli. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently until macaroni is tender. Most of the water will be absorbed.
- Add cheese packet, tomatoes, and cheddar. Stir to mix.
- Pour into a casserole dish, cover and bake for about 15 - 20 mins or until bubbly.
- Enjoy with rolls or garlic bread.