Recipe by HeatherFeather
Posted by request, this recipe is an adaptation of one found in The Swiss Cookbook by Nika Standen Hazelton. To make it a "Witch Pie," add a few drops of green food coloring to the eggy filling.
Top Review by Mimi Bobeck
Again, HeatherFeather achives perfection with this very authetic tasting recipe. Using apricots and and peaches, this wonderful treat put a big smile on the faces of both the children I take care of, their parent's and especially me! Great recipe Heather!
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups blanched almonds, ground
- 1 cup mashed cooked dried fruit (prunes, apricots, pears or peaches)
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup cold unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons cold water or 9 inches circle refrigerated pastry dough
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the dried fruit by simmering in a saucepan of water until softened enough to mash.
- Drain well and allow to cool slightly before processing in a food processor to a thick, chunky pulp.
- Have this done in advance and at room temperature when ready to fill pastry.
- Set flour for the pastry dough in a bowl and using two forks or a pastry blender, cut in the butter pieces until the mixture resembles small pebbles.
- Add water a little at a time, mixing until the dough starts to form up a ball.
- Gather into a ball with your hands gently and knead on a very lightly floured surface just enough to make a smooth ball of dough- do not overwork the dough.
- Cover in plastic and chill while preparing filling.
- If you prefer, you may substitute a premade refrigerated pastry dough.
- Beat the eggs until they are thick and lemony.
- Beat in the granulated sugar 1 Tbsp at a time.
- Fold in the nuts.
- Roll out pastry dough on a lightly floured surface and cut to fit into the bottom of a 9-inch well greased springform pan.
- Spread the cooled mashed fruit over the dough and then pour the nut mixture over the fruit.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 30-40 minutes, or until the eggy filling is set.
- Chill, then remove sides of pan carefully, slice and serve.
- Store in the refrigerator.